Morgan Sully, 2010.
Coming up with a worthy topic for a story can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be. Here’s a few prompts to get you started.
Can work for small or large groups. Not much technology is needed for this activity.
This activity will help students find and start a story to tell.
- As the instructor, choose one or more prompts below and have your students list relevant items to each in their journals or on a sheet of paper.
- List 3-5 specific experiences that have made you the person you are
- List 3-5 relationships that have been important in your life
- List 3-5 unique things that you do (habitually)
- List 3-5 places that have been important in your development
- List 3-5 experiences you’d mention if someone asked you to explain why you do the work you do
- Once they’re done (after about 10 minutes), have them circle 3 of the most promising ideas (about 3 minutes).
- Now have them pick one of theseand write for 10 minutes about it.
You might ask, Why is this one (particularly) important to tell?
Other Things to Try
Show and Tell
- Have students/participants bring in a few choice objects from home, work or play.
- Lay them out on a table and have them take a picture or scan them.
- Write a paragraph on the item.
By Dan O'Reilly-Rowe, 2009. Quality sound recording is often sadly neglected in community media production. This simple activity helps participants get familiar with their microphones and helps the crew make thoughtful choices in how they record location sound. Goals...
This is a simple warmup exercise designed to introduce new groups to each other and their workshop facilitators in a casual, fun and simple way. This can be most useful to try to help participants remember each other's names as well as getting a glimpse at each...
Elias, 2009. High School Confessions is an exercise suitable for small groups of High School students that will generate a funny and insightful representation of the school experience. Students will share both real and imaginary stories about themselves or their...