A Curious Creators project
Set in the suburbs and homes of Western Sydney, Urban Stories is a suite of film and theatre scripts in development, written by local emerging writers, through CuriousWorks’ peer led writers group.
The Curious Creators ‘writers group’ are a tightknit team of storytellers who meet weekly and grow original stories with the intention of moving them to readiness for production. Facilitated by 2018 Associate Artist, Miranda Aguilar, the group have reconvened in 2018 to explore and develop a new suite of stories from Western Sydney.
The group was first formed in 2015. In April 2016, they undertook their first team residency as part of the Bundanon Artists Residency Program in order to move their projects forward with intense dramaturgy from S. Shakthidharan and feedback from their peers. In September 2016, this work came to fruition with URBAN STORIES, a moved reading, staging two scenes from each of their works for a full house at Riverside Theatres. PYT Fairfield Youth Ensemble partnered on the project as actors/ readers.
The themes cover family love, teen isolation, resilience, grief, racism, disability and desire, all through the eyes of young writers who examine their own lives and that of their families and communities, with great warmth, respect, humour and insight.
CONCEPT & WRITERS
2016 Urban Stories included:
- ‘Shane’ – an isolated teenager on an escape route from his lonely rat’s wheel world of school and video games. By Shawn Spina
- ‘Val’ − a young Australian-Filipina exploring religion, family expectations and her queer identity. By Miranda Aguilar
- ‘Dominic’ – a HSC student whose life is complicated by the continuing presence of his dead brother. By Thomas Barrell
- ‘Mia’ – a Muslim girl discovering some unique talents with daily therapy and family love to overcome her disability. By Samia Halabi
- ‘Valerie’ – a young woman who questions authority and the conventional wisdom of her walled community in 22nd century Sydney. By Andrea Beeten
2018 Urban Stories will take place at Riverside Theatres on Friday 2 November 2018. Watch this space for details!
2018 Writers Group is facilitated by Miranda Aguilar (CuriousWorks Associate Artist)